Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Provides A Twist On A Favorite!

It just wouldn't seem like the holidays without enjoying things make from pumpkin - pie, cookies, soup, bread, muffins...we are pumpkin crazy this time of year. And why not? Pumpkin is awesome! So this past Thanksgiving, I made the traditional pumpkin pie that I always make, using my mom's recipe, which is basically the one that is on the label of every can of Libby's pumpkin. The only real difference being that mom never used the ginger or cloves in spicing her pumpkin pie, just cinnamon and a little nutmeg. However, my dad had heard about this chocolate pumpkin pie, and it caught my interest, so I decided to make both pies for Thanksgiving and see what people liked. The chocolate version was hands-down the winner of the night.

I've always loved pumpkin pie, but I have to admit that I have abused it over the years. During the course of time, pumpkin pie has transformed into as much a delivery device for whipped cream and/or Cool Whip as it served as a wonderful dessert. With the inclusion of the chocolate pumpkin pie into the holiday dessert rotation, I find that I'm loving the pie for the pie's sake. Give this one a try and you'll see what I mean!



Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
* this makes one 9 inch deep dish pie, but the recipe easily doubles for two pies (as I made in the video).

1 cup (8oz) heavy cream
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 - 15oz can of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar, but I think the dark works better here)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 pie crust for 9 inch deep-dish pie (make your own or use ready-made)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream over medium-high heat until it just begins to form bubbles - do not bring to a full boil. Remove cream from heat and stir in chocolate chips until they are completely melted.

In a large bowl, add pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk together. Add cream-chocolate mixture and whisk again until combined. Make sure mixture is not too hot, then add eggs and whisk again, making sure the eggs are well blended into the mixture.

Have your pie plate with raw crust inside ready to go. Pour filling into pie crust and transfer to oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the center of the pie is firm and doesn't wiggle. Remove from oven when done and let cool completely. Serve with whipped cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment